Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Week 9

 External recognition.

Well here we are at the end of the DFI journey.  Amazing way to learn.  I must admit i was very sceptical that it would be of any use to me.

1.    because I don't like change and couldn't see my class being able to use devices in class.  I just didn't 'get' how it would work and work well.

2.    because I thought it would either be too hard or too easy for me.  I can hold my own with ICT but I am certainly no digital native.

3.    I couldn't see the old devices we use any good...

Well... brush me with glue and throw feathers on me. I was wrong!

I have found the course to be 'bloody' useful.

I was concerned with students being "on" devices all day but it certainly isn't like that.  Yes it can be if needed but there is a lot of ways to work device use into hands on activities.  One my photocopy bill is way down!!!  But having a tool that can be used to plan and work with others on the same document is wonderful.  The conversations that have developed are amazing.  I have found different and useful ways in which my class can use and share their work with their parent in an online world so parents aren't having to come in and view it.  It has taken down many barriers for whanau.

Having the time to play with each tool as and when we are talking about it was incredibly helpful.  Learning one step ahead of the students is great if you have the time to stay one step ahead.  The kids are so quick that they figure things out a lot quicker than me and having time to talk about what we are doing and how it can work in class has been priceless.  So yes the old dog has learnt things and a pace that worked for everyong. I didnt feel like I was holding anyone up or being left behind.

I found that having the old devices in class was both of benefit and of detriment to us.  The older devices need to be plugged in at all times and have buttons missing but it allowed for both me and the students to have a little leeway in learning how to treat them.  The students are young and heavy handed and these old devices are big and heavy and not easy to lug around so that made them stay in one spot.  Which is good for younger students.  The fact that some buttons were missing help too in an odd way. More experienced students could remember the keyboard quickly and they took those devices. 


So on to Google educator test.

I passed!

Would I have passed 6 months ago?  Nope. Nah. No way.  I have learnt so much in such a sort time.

I do plan to continue with this blog as a tool and with my class site.  I am however changing years so it will be interesting how I can use ICT with juniors.  But the important thing is Im not scared to try.





2 comments:

  1. Congratulations De! Great job with the exam and with sharing all your really insightful learning (and innovating) over the course of the DFI! I have so appreciated your sense of humour and can totally relate to the challenges (and new experiences) you have shared. Look forward to touching base in the future and definitely coming for a visit when I am travelling for observations next year! Nga mihi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have shared quite a few of my thoughts De, just in a far more entertaining way! I also had reservations of our juniors being on devices too much, but also feel more comfortable with this now.
    Best of luck next year and continuing to implement all that we have gained!

    ReplyDelete